Holiday shopping can be stressful but for the French, holiday gifting is not as much about finding the perfect gift but more about getting a sentimental and symbolic gift that captures the personality of your loved one.
For the French, creating an emotion and memories is more important than the price tag. Even the gift wrapping doesn’t have to be perfect. What matters is the thought and not how much you spent. There’s a bit of pressure though for the French gentleman who is looking for that unique gift for his loved one. French men tend to wait until the last minute to do their shopping which they’ll end up wrapping loosely in a paper bag!
Being married for over 20 years, I’ve learned the hard way to give my hubby my wish list way in advance, that way everyone is happy!
My list usually consists of small luxuries (scented candle or lingerie); a timeless gift (Hermès scarf or fine jewelry); a book and some new skincare or makeup.
- L’Occitane Shea Butter Rich Body Lotion: This is the ultimate body lotion! I have dry and sensitive skin and the mix of shea butter and calendula always leaves my skin super soft.
- Chantelle Lace Lingerie: Chantelle intimates are by far my favorite ones. Designed in France, the bras are the perfect fit and hand wash very well. Their lace collection is super feminine with a delicate embroidered lace throughout.
- Diptyque Scented Candle, 6.5 oz: talk about a small luxury! These Parisian candles are a bit pricey at $64, but they are worth every penny! Made with a lush combination of wax and perfume, their scent is very natural. My favorite scent is Baies, which is a bouquet of roses sweetened with black currant leaves. Plus, the design of the candle makes any room feels super elegant and chic.
- Longchamp Le Pliage Héritage Crossbody: Every Parisian woman owns at least one Longchamp nylon Pliage handbag. I own a few in a range of colors. What I love about Le Pliage Héritage collection is the leather design with the chain shoulder strap. It’s perfect for both daytime and at night. The flap is so chic with its embellished jewel lock.
- Hermès Collier De Chien Bracelet: French chic girls are obsessed with Hermès. From our first Hermès scarf for our 18th birthday to our first jewelry piece when we get engaged, every Hermès gift is symbolic of a rite of passage. Let’s see if Santa will give me the Collier De Chien leather bracelet in orange puppy this year.
- COCO NOIR Chanel Eau de Parfum: my latest perfume addiction. The scent is so seductive with Grapefruit and Bergamot, Rose and Jasmine, Indonesian Patchouli and Sandalwood notes. A pure delight for the holidays!
- Lancôme L’Absolu Rouge Lipstick: Voted by Allure for the Best Bright Lipstick, L’Absolu Rouge is the perfect lipstick for all your holiday parties. It will last all day and keep your lips hydrated all night! Comes in sheer, cream and matte finishes.
- Coco Chanel: The Illustrated World of a Fashion Icon: This fun and beautiful illustrated book by Megan Hess takes you through Coco Chanel’s life with great anecdotal stories and famous quotes. A must-have gift if you’re a Chanel fan.
Hope you enjoyed my holiday gift guide. Would love to hear what’s on your list!
As always, thanks for reading.
Happy Holiday Season!
Tuesday: Elegantly Dressed and Stylish